The great thing about sheepskin is that it is naturally self-cleaning and you’ll probably find that your Oh Aldo bear will not soil as quickly or smell when compared to cotton or synthetic comforters … which is great because less time in the laundry means more time doing the things you love!
Caring for your Oh Aldo bear is easy and following the instructions below will ensure you and your family will be able to enjoy your flatbear for many years.
HAND WASHING (5 MINUTE PROCESS):
- Fill up your laundry tub or a bucket with cool/lukewarm water (maximum 35 degrees Celsius - no hotter than a newborns bath).
- Add to the tub specialist sheepskin shampoo, preferably containing lanolin to help maintain the wool. Dilute shampoo as per product instructions.
- Place your Oh Aldo flatbear in the tub and work the sheepskin shampoo into the wool with your fingers for a few minutes.
- Drain the tub and rinse with cool/lukewarm water (maximum 35 degrees Celsius)
- Squeeze out the excess water. Do not wring dry, just some gentle squeezes will do.
- Place your Oh Aldo bear on a towel and leave in a dry and airy place. Do not place in direct sunlight or close to a heater as it may damage the leather. Note: it may take a day or so for the flatbear to be fully dry, if you need to speed up the process hand towelling using a patting/dabbing motion works well. Some people also like to have a second flatbear so that they have a spare when washing.
As your Oh Aldo flatbear is a natural product made from Australian sheepskin, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind to ensure your flatbear has a long and happy life. We know it might be tempting to deviate from the care instructions “just this one time” but we really urge you not to as one time is enough damage your flatbear and that would be super sad. Please:
Do not use hot water as it can damage the leather (maximum 35 degrees).
Do not use wool detergents. Mostly these are designed for wool knitwear and are not suitable for sheepskin.
Do not use soap or washing powders containing enzymes or bleach, or that are alkaline.
Do not use fabric softeners.
Do not soak for extended periods.
Do not wring dry.
Do not tumble dry.
Do not machine wash, even on a hand wash cycle.
Note: if your Oh Aldo flatbear is only mildly soiled, please spot clean as constant washing can weather the wool and leather.
Should you need to store your flatbear at any time, place it in a cool airy place and avoid direct sunlight. Packaging in plastic for extended periods is not recommended as the sheepskin fibres will not be able to breathe and condensation may occur.